Painting Vs. Staining: Cabinet Coloring Showdown
The kitchen. Do you consider your kitchen your sanctuary or a just a room with a means to an end? You might work eight hours a day, sleep seven hours a night, but between meal preparation, eating and clean up, it would be safe to say you might spend three hours in the kitchen on a weekday and even more on the weekend when you go the extra mile for that special Sunday dinner.
No matter which side you fall on, it’s hard to deny you spend time in the kitchen whether you are much of a cook or not! Add entertaining with friends and families and suddenly, if you are anything like me, the kitchen becomes the hub of your home.
So why not take the steps to really create a feel in the kitchen that invites you to enjoy the time you spend there? Painting and staining cabinets are an affordable way to really change the look of the room accentuating the positive. Check out the online home improvement sites and designer magazines and just look at how many of them have caught on to this quick change technique. If you’re looking for a kitchen upgrade that’s simple yet stunning – updating your cabinets may be it.
Painting cabinets is a great kitchen update that can pay huge dividends. With a couple coats of a cream or white color, you’ll have a kitchen that looks larger. Plus, many find the space feels airy and open after a quick paint change. On the other hand, many prefer the look of stained cabinets in the kitchen. Stained cabinets are traditional looking and offered families a warm, timeless styling. If you like the rustic look, then there’s a high chance you’ll opt for stained kitchen cabinets.
Painting Vs. Staining
Before you decide to paint or stain your kitchen cabinets, or any other cabinets in your home for that matter, we wanted to talk a little bit about the benefits of each option.
Benefits of Painting
- Easy to Keep Clean: Painted cabinets hide dust much better than stained cabinets do. As such, these cabinets are easier to keep clean than their counterparts. This is especially true when choosing lighter colors.
- Modern Design: When you paint a cabinet, it looks modern and stunning. Lighter colors add a spacious element to your kitchen. Plus, they contrast exceptionally well with dark-colored counters.
- Disguise Wood Grain: Many home owners want to downplay the look of wood grain cabinets, like an oak finish. Although it can be difficult to remove all traces of wood grain in non-paint grain cabinetry, painting can give them a modern look – while concealing the old style.
Benefits of Staining
- Classic Styling: Many home owners still love the classic look that staining offers cabinets. This is for a number of reasons – one being how familiar this look has become. Stained cabinets, professionally done, can still create a show stopping look.
- Low Costs: While stained cabinets may not be the hottest trend at the moment, they’re still popular for a few reasons. Keeping cost in mind, staining cabinets are typically less labor intensive than painting cabinets, so they usually cost less to update depending on the age, technique, and product used.
The Perfect Cabinets For You
No matter how you want your cabinets to look, the experts at Southern Painting are here for you. Whether painted or stained, we’re ready and willing to help you update your kitchen before the holidays are here. Get in touch with us to learn more about color coordinating options and more.